Friday, September 23

however far away i will always love you

I know I promised a big post but I'm tipsy so I hope this will do.

I spent the evening out a bar in rural Georgia. I mean rural. The roads here for the most part tend to not be paved here, that's how rural. So anyway I'm sitting at this bar with my grandfather, my uncle Jim, my cousin Amy, her boyfriend Bill, my mom, and Ruby, and there's a live band we're there to see since the guy that plays drums works with everyone at CamTech. Anyway. So of course, seeing as how we're in rural Georgia, they of course are playing two things: country, which makes me want to stab myself in the eyes, and the occasional Lynyrd Skynyrd song. Okay. Fine. There are lots of cans of Coors Light and cowboy hats and "y'all"s going on around me, and I'm knocking back Smirnoff Ice Triple Blacks as fast as I can to make this painful evening better for me. So the guy who plays drums comes down and talks to us, and my mom, as ever, says "Actually, Wendy lives in London, and she's just home visiting!"

The guy looks at me and says "No shit, that's awesome. How long have you lived there?" And I replied "Over a year and a half, and I'm headed back in two weeks." He looked impressed, for whatever reason, and he said "Well I'll tell you what, we've got a song we hardly ever play down these parts (I am not making this up, David) but we'll play it for you coz I think you'll get it."

So I'm sitting there through renditions of Sweet Home Alabama--although don't get me wrong, I'm not talking shit on their playing abilities, they were actually really fucking good--and the guy who plays the drums says "This next song is for the girl from London" and then, in this bar, at 11 PM on a Thursday in Baxley Georgia, this country band starts playing fucking Lovesong by the fucking Cure. And what's even more awesome, is that this band's version was BETTER. And I was so happy, and I missed you so much, and I sang along even though no one else in that goddamned bar had ever even heard that song before, and I missed London so much and all of a suddent it became clear that my life, to this point anyway, has been leading me to this moment, to this decision, to think of you, and to think of me, and to finally say with complete certainty that there is nothing I would rather do than live with you for the rest of my life.

So that's my story. I love you, Dave. And I hope this entry will do.


W


PS I swear this is all true. This shit can only ever happen to me. I'm seriously going to write a book someday...

PPS 368 hours.